Friday, May 31, 2013

How you can Smoke a Brisket - 12 Simple Steps to produce a Moist and Tender Brisket

It is no secret that a beef brisket is one of the hardest meats to cook. If not cooked properly, a brisket will leave you very disappointed and heart broken. It is sort of like dating a high maintenance woman, if you do not give it the proper attention, you will be left high and dry, or tough and dry in the brisket's case. Careful steps must be taken, from the selection of the brisket all the way to the slicing, to ensure a piece of beef that you can really sink your teeth into. I will give you 12 steps that I use myself that guarantees a moist, tender brisket every time.

Step 1: Meat Selection

This is an important step and can be difficult to learn. First, you need to look for a whole, untrimmed brisket. It should include the flat, the point, and it should still have a lot of fat still attached. This type of packaging is usually referred to as a "packer" because this is the way that it came from the meat packer to the market. The next thing to look for is a nice dark pink or cherry color in the flesh. Try to avoid a brisket that is covered with grey flesh. Sometimes it is hard to avoid buying meat that is not a little grey around the edges. If this is all you can find, then this is acceptable, just be sure to trim off the grey meat before cooking. While checking out the color, also look at the marbling of fat that runs through the meat, you want a good even marble. This helps ensure a moister brisket. After looking at the meat, flip the brisket over to the fat side, also known as the fat cap. There should be a lot of fat on this side. The fat should also be more white than yellow. Yellow is an indication that it has been frozen, it has also been said that yellow indicates a grass fed cow which has a tougher texture. Next, look for a thick flat. If you are not sure what a flat or a point is, then do your research, just Google it. Now that we have covered what a good brisket looks like, let us talk about grades and brands. I try to look for a choice grade brisket if possible. Choice is second to prime, but it is hard to find prime briskets and I have heard that the difference is not worth the extra cost. If you can only find a select brisket, then you will still be able to create a great brisket. I have a technique that helps turn lesser cuts of brisket into works of art. As for brands, Certified Angus Beef, also referred to as CAB, is one of the best. A CAB brisket is not necessary, but their meat is said to be at the top of the grade scale, so if you buy a CAB Choice, then you can rest assure that you are getting a top quality choice brisket and not a low, almost select, choice.

Step 2: Aging the Brisket

This step is optional, but I feel that it helps the tenderness of the brisket. You need to have a brisket that is still in its original cryovac packaging. All you have to do is place it in your refrigerator at 32 to 34 degrees. Some people will age their brisket for up to 60 days after the pack date, but the normal is 2 to 3 weeks. The pack date comes on the box that the briskets come in from the meat packer. You will have to ask the butcher if he or she knows the pack date. If not, then just age it until the "sell by" date or even a week after. Please do your own research on aging meat so that you do not become ill from not doing it properly.

Step 3: Trimming the Brisket

The first thing that I do when trimming a brisket is remove as much fat as possible from the side that does not have the fat cap. Some people do not bother with this step, but I do not like a lot of fat on my slices of brisket. If you like "to chew the fat" then leave this fat alone. If there is not a lot of fat, then I leave it alone because most of this will render off during smoking. Next, I start trimming away at the fat vein that separates the flat from the point. I do not want to separate the two muscles, but I want to get as much of the extra fat off as possible because it will not render down all the way. After I am through with the fat vein, I start trimming up the fat cap. I only want 1/8" to 1/4" fat cap; this is plenty for keeping the brisket moist. I also trim the fat from the sides to about 1/8" to 1/4". Last, but not least, I will score the fat cap to allow seasoning and smoke to penetrate into the meat. I usually score the fat on a 1" x 1" grid pattern. This also helps out if you plan to inject the brisket.

Step 4: Injecting the Brisket

This step is mainly for flavor. Since a brisket is so large, marinades do not penetrate to the center of the meat. Some people do not bother with marinades because of this reason. I started injecting my briskets to add a little extra flavor. Don't get me wrong, brisket is fine the way it is. This step just amplifies the beef flavor. I usually start by mixing up the following recipe and then I let the liquid cool before injecting the brisket. Once cooled, I inject the brisket using the 1" pattern. I inject where the two lines cross. I also inject where there is not fat. Remember to pull the syringe out slowly as you push down the plunger to inject the liquid. I then let the brisket set over night or up to 2 days.

Injecting Liquid

4 Cups Beef broth

1 Package of Au Jus Gravy Mix

1/4 Cup Soy Sauce

1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce

2 Tbsp Hot Sauce

Mix the 4 cups of beef broth and the Au Jus gravy mix and bring to a boil. Then turn off the heat and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture cool before injecting.

Step 5: Mustard Slather

After the brisket has marinated, I pat it dray and then I usually apply a thin coat of mustard before applying my rub. I just use what ever I have on hand. This acts as an adhesive for the rub. You will not taste the mustard when the brisket is done, so it does not matter if you use cheap, plain mustard or expensive, fancy mustard, it will taste all the same. You could also use Worcestershire sauce or a combination of the two. I apply the mustard to both sides of the brisket before applying the rub.

Step 6: Apply the Rub to the Brisket

After the mustard has been applied I sprinkle the rub over both sides of the brisket and pat it (not actually rub it) onto the meat. The amount of rub that you use should depend on the salt content. Most brisket rubs have paprika as the main ingredient so it is recommended to apply this type of rub heavily

Brisket Rub

4 Tbsp Paprika

2 1/2 Tbsp Kosher Salt

2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw) or Brown Sugar

2 Tbsp Chili Powder

2 Tbsp Granulated Garlic Powder

2 Tbsp Onion Powder

2 Tbsp Fresh Course Ground or Cracked Black Pepper

2 Tbsp Cumin Powder

2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

2 Tsp Ground Coriander

2 Tsp Dried Oregano

Mix all of the ingredients and sprinkle liberally over the brisket.

Step 7: The Jaccard Method

If you could only find a select brisket rather than a choice, then this step will help make up for the lesser meat. This also pushes the rub down into the meat. The Jaccard is often used before applying the mustard and rub as well. After applying the rub, starting with the fat cap up, make two runs through the meat with the Jaccard. Then flip over and repeat. After you are through with the Jaccard, sprinkle the brisket again with the rub.

Step 8: Brisket Mop

I usually do not mop the brisket until the rub has set, creating a good crust also known as bark. This usually takes about 4 hrs. After 4 hrs, I quickly lift the lid and spray or brush the brisket. I usually do this every couple of hours, or when ever I need to open the lid to check on the brisket temperature.

Brisket Mop

1/4 Cup Beer

1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar 

That is it, Simple. I usually pour this into a spray bottle. A spray bottle is quick and easy, and remember, if you're looking, you're not cooking.

Step 9: Getting the Smoker Started

This step will vary depending on your smoker. Basically you need to have an indirect heat source. I use a vertical water smoker and the water pan acts as a heat shield creating an indirect heat. I have also used an offset smoker and you basically just build your fire in the small fire box. I have started using the Minion Method for starting my charcoal and this gives me more time before putting more coals on. On my WSM 22 ½" smoker, I can just about set it and forget it. This smoker can go up to 12, even 16 hours on a load of charcoal. To achieve the Minion Method, you fill you charcoal chamber ¾ or so full of unlit charcoal and then dump a chimney starter full of lit charcoal beside that or if you are using a water smoker, you just scatter the lit coals on top of the unlit. I prefer to use lump charcoal, but if all you have are briquettes, then you should still be alright. Just remember not to use lighter fluid. I prefer using a charcoal chimney starter. A chimney starter only requires a couple of sheets of newspaper to start. For the smoke flavor I scatter several chunks of smoke wood over the lit and unlit charcoal. I prefer hickory or pecan when smoking a brisket, but I have also used apple.

Step 10: Smoking the Brisket (Up to 165 Degrees)

I prefer to smoke my briskets at 250 degrees rather than on the lower side, closer to 200 degrees. I feel that this helps insure a moister brisket. I also let the temperature rise up closer to 300 degrees once the brisket has been wrapped in foil. A trick to achieving a better smoke ring is to put the brisket on while the smoker temperature is low. Leave the temperature down in the 180 degree range for about an hour and then bring it up to 250 degrees. It is said that the smoke ring stops forming after the internal temperature of the brisket reaches 140 degrees, so the longer that the brisket is exposed to the heat and smoke before it reaches 140 degrees, the deeper the smoke ring. I usually place a wireless probe thermometer in the brisket while it is cooking to monitor the temperature. After about 4 hours, I will start basting the brisket with a spray bottle or brush. I do this every other hour until the brisket's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.

Note: I often place the brisket in a disposable pan to catch the drippings for later and to add an extra shield against the heat.

Step 11: Smoking the Brisket (After it Reaches 165 Degrees)

After it reaches 165 degrees, I tightly wrap the brisket in a double layer of aluminum foil. You can pour a cup or two of some type of liquid: drippings from the pan (if you used one), beer, beef broth, apple juice, or a combination. I leave the probe thermometer in the brisket when I wrap it. When the brisket's internal temperature reaches 185 degrees, I open the foil enough to stick a dial type thermometer into the meat to check for tenderness. I have used temperature as a guide: to know when to foil and then to know when it is getting close to being finished. After 185 degrees, I pretty much just quit looking at the temperature, I just go by feel. If the probe of the thermometer has some resistance, then the brisket is not done. When the probe goes into the brisket as if you where sticking a hot knife into butter, then the brisket has "gave up the ghost" and is done. When done I usually take the brisket and wrap it back tightly in the foil and place in an insulated cooler until time to serve. This will keep the brisket warm until time to eat.

Note: If you decide to ramp up the heat to 300 degrees after wrapping the brisket, then you may want to let the brisket rest for about 20 minutes under a foil tent before wrapping and placing in the cooler. Also, if you would like to render more fat out of the point and make burnt ends, then separate the point from the flat before wrapping back in foil and place the point back on the smoker or cut it into cubes, season with more rub, and place it into a disposable pan with holes poked in it. Then place the pan back in the smoker until it is done to your liking.

Note: It should take about an hour per pound up to 1 1/2 hours per pound to smoke the brisket, depending on the thickness of your meat, the type of smoker, and the actual smoker temperature.

Step 12: Slicing the Brisket

About 20 minutes before it is time to eat, take the brisket out of the cooler, unwrap it and place it on a large cutting board. Let the brisket rest so the internal juices have time to redistribute throughout the meat. The amount of time that is required for resting depends on how long the brisket has been in the cooler. If, the brisket has been in the cooler for 4 or more hours then it does not need long to rest, maybe 5 to10 minutes. If it has only been in the cooler for about 2 or so hours, then 20 minutes should be sufficient. If you wanted to serve immediately out of the smoker, then I would wait 30 minutes before slicing. If I decided not to make burnt ends and left the point and flat attached, then the first thing that I want to do is separate the point from the flat. Once they are separated, then scrape the excess fat from the fat cap and where the two pieces were joined. Then, I chop the point and slice the flat against the grain with a very sharp knife or an electric knife. The thickness of the brisket depends on what you like, but keep in mind that the texture of the brisket also dictates how thick it should be sliced. If the brisket is not as tender as you normally like, then slice it thinner. If the brisket turns out very tender, to the point of crumbling when you try to pick it up (some people consider this over cooked while others prefer their brisket this way), then slicing it thicker will help it stay together. Also, slicing it slightly with the grain will help an over cooked brisket hold together.

Well, enjoy! Follow these steps and you are on your way to creating a brisket that will blow the socks off your guests and leave them wanting more. In fact, I hope that you like cooking briskets because everyone is going to be begging you to cook your famous brisket for now on. Bon appetit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment